Bicycling can be a fun and interesting way to enjoy the sights and sounds of the city as well as save money on gasoline or bus fare. However, as with any mode of transportation, you must share the road with other individuals and sometimes accidents occur. If you find yourself involved in a collision, contact our reputable bicycle accident attorney immediately. Below are some additional tips you should follow if an accident takes place:
- Checklist. Never forget to take your cell phone, emergency contact information, personal identification, and a pen or pencil with which to write down information if a collision occurs. Many bicyclists find it convenient to carry a few folded sheets of blank paper and a mini pencil in their seat bag.
- The Importance of Calling 911. If you are involved in any type of accident, even if it seems minor at the time, you should immediately call 911 to make a police report and obtain medical attention from an EMT.
- Never leave the scene before the police arrive. The officer who responds will write out a detailed report about the incident, including the names and contact information of any witnesses. Always get a business card from the officer at the scene so that you can easily obtain a copy of the report later.
- Leave the Scene Undisturbed. If at all possible, leave your bicycle in the same position it was after the collision. It is best if the responding officer views the accident scene undisturbed.
- Seek Medical Attention. Whether you receive medical attention at the scene from an EMT or are taken by ambulance to the emergency room, you should list all complaints and document the extent of your injuries. Even if you think your injuries are mild, you should still seek the advice of a doctor. Your medical records play a major role in proving you were injured. Our bicycle accident lawyers in Westlake Village and Agoura Hills usually need this information to proceed with a case against the responsible party.
- Keep a Diary. Keep a diary or log of how you were affected by the accident, both physically and mentally. You should also take photos of any injuries you sustained. Our bicycle accident attorney may want copies of the diary and photos, therefore it is best to keep them in a safe place.
- Refrain From Making Statements. Do not offer any recorded or written statements to anyone until you speak to an attorney. Most bicycle accident lawyers in Westlake Village and Agoura Hills also state that it is never in your best interest to try to negotiate with the other party, regardless of who was at fault.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to avoid certain accidents. However, when our reputable bicycle accident lawyer is contacted, you can enjoy the peace of mind that comes from knowing the case is in the hands of our professional personal injury lawyer.